Skip to main content
Bradford College

Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you are a disabled student on a Higher Education course you may be able to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA).

DSA is a grant to help meet your extra costs of studying as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difficulty.

Your household income doesn’t affect the amount you get.

DSA is paid on top of the standard student finance package and you will not need to pay it back.

Who can apply?

You must be enrolled as a full-time or part-time student on a Higher Education course (foundation degree, degree or postgraduate qualification) at Bradford College.

You must have evidence of your disability when applying, such as a GP or hospital letter, or a diagnosis report:

  • physical difficulty
  • medical condition
  • dyslexia (with a diagnosis)
  • dyspraxia (with a diagnosis)
  • autistic spectrum condition
  • mental health issue
  • visual impairment
  • deaf or hard Of hearing

Pre-assessment funding

Some students must pay for an assessment to prove they have a disability before they can apply for DSA.  This usually happens you need to show you have dyslexia. 

Contact the Learning Support Department to arrange this.

What does it cover?

DSA can pay for:

  • specialist equipment you need for studying
  • non-medical support, such as a British Sign Language interpreter and additional study skills tutorials
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of disability-related reasons
  • assistance towards the cost of consumables, such as printing and photocopying

Find out more

Visit the Government’s website.