Fees and financial support

Help with childcare costs

There are a couple of different ways to get help with your childcare costs, depending on your age.

If you’re 16 to 19 years old, you can apply for the Government’s care to learn scheme.

If you’re 20 or older, you can apply for the Learner Support Fund Childcare Grant.

16-19: Care to learn

Course type Fund providerAgeType of funding
Further EducationGovernment16 to 19Grant

Care to learn will only pay for childcare costs from the start of your course if you apply within 28 days of the course start date.

If you apply after that, your childcare provider will only be paid from the beginning of the week that your application was received.

FE Student Funding will be alerted when you apply to Care to Learn and we will write to you to tell you what you need to do next. 

You will have to provide a copy of your child’s/children’s birth certificate(s) or passport(s), and a letter confirming you receive Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for 2019/2020.

You will also have a short form to complete.

Summer retainers

If you are planning to return to the College in 2021-22 and you receive Care to Learn funding in 2020-21, you may be eligible for the Summer Retainer.

Care to Learn should contact you about this.

Please contact Care to Learn for advice:

20+: Learner Support Fund Childcare Grant

Course type Fund providerAgeType of funding
Further Education Education and Skills Funding Agency 20+Grant

A Learner Support Fund Childcare Grant can help you pay for your childcare costs while you study at college if you’re 20 years old or more.

All payments will be made straight to your childcare provider.

You must keep attending your course for the payments to be made.

To apply, you need to:

  • be aged 20 or over on the day your course starts
  • be the primary carer of your child(ren) and not have a partner at home who can take care of your child(ren) while you study
  • have a gross household income of £25,000 or under
  • be using an OFSTED registered childcare provider
  • not be receiving the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits/Universal credit

There are two ways to apply:

THIS IS THE MAIN WAY WE WILL BE TAKING APPLICATIONS.  You will need to register on the Bursary Portal, complete a short application form and upload the supporting documents you are asked to provide. As soon as your application is assessed you will be able to see your award letter and details of your grant on the PayMyStudent portal.

By telephone

If you don’t have access to a computer (at College, at home, at a friend’s house), you will be able telephone (01274 088403) or email studentfunding@bradfordcollege.ac.uk for a telephone appointment.  A member of staff will call and complete the application with you. You will still have to provide an electronic copy of your supporting documents.




Childcare providers

It will be your responsibility to find a childcare provider.  

The website childcare.co.uk can help with this.

We don’t have our own nursey but College students can apply for the University of Bradford Nursery next door.

Your childcare provider will need to register if you are applying for the Learner Support Fund Childcare Grant.


Last updated: 12 October 2020

We use cookies on this website to enhance your user experience For a complete overview of all cookies used please see your more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.