Student Exams Update – Thursday 7 January 2021
The college has received additional information and further updates regarding the BTEC and vocational exams and along with the majority of colleges in the region and nationally we have taken the decision to cancel all exams planned until further notice.
As previously stated, no student will be disadvantaged as a result of not sitting an exam. The decision will support keeping the community safe and following the stay at home government guidelines. Please regularly check the website and social media for further updates.
The Department for Education (DfE) issued guidance on 5 January 2021 giving schools and colleges the choice to continue with vocational exams or not. The full DfE guidance is available here.
We always place students firmly at the centre of everything we do and have made the decision to enable each individual to make the right decision for them.
We want to ensure that our students have the opportunity to sit scheduled exams if they wish. We will therefore continue to offer the opportunity for you to complete your scheduled exams during January and February.
If you choose not to do the exam then Pearson have said the following :
Where a college or school decides to offer exams, you will be able to sit your external assessments as planned. If your school or college decides not to offer vocational exams, we have agreed the following with Ofqual and the DfE to ensure that no learner is disadvantaged:
- We will award a grade for any learner who is unable to take their exams and has enough evidence to receive a certificate that they need for progression.
- Learners unable to take their assessment this January may be able to take their assessment at a later date. If that is not possible, we will put in place arrangements to ensure you are not disadvantaged.
- We are working closely with the DfE and Ofqual on all of this and we will share more detail with you in the coming days.
We appreciate that this is a difficult time for all of our students, but hopefully this update provides some clarity and reassurance that you will not be disadvantaged whichever decision you make regarding your exam.
All students who choose to attend their exam need to follow the college’s current COVID rules:
- Socially distance and stay 2 metres apart
- Wear a face mask in all public areas
- Regularly wash your hands and use the sanitise stations throughout the college
If you have any questions please email FEexamsenquiries@bradfordcollege.ac.uk