21 April 2020
During these extraordinary times, Bradford College is doing everything possible to support students both studying and working from home during Ramadan and beyond.
This year, Ramadan will be observed from 23/24 April to 23/24 May – but it will be a very different experience for Muslims due to the ongoing Covid-19 restrictions.
Nosheen Qamer, Student Services Team Leader – Personal Development, said: “We know these are difficult times for everyone and we believe that Ramadan should not impact on students’ ability to continue their studies online.”
In line with guidelines from The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), Bradford College has the following suggestions to support students observing Ramadan at home this year:
• Let your tutors and other support staff know you’ll be fasting if necessary
• Take regular breaks from studying, for rest and reflection
• If you find yourself becoming tired or frustrated, take a break from your studies until you feel better
• Set yourself a timetable. Lectures always help structure your day even when scheduled online, but take into account activities such as prayer times and iftar when planning your day.
• Timings – you may wish to start your day earlier so that you can finish earlier and have some down time prior to iftar.
• Share Ramadan with classmates and friends by having a conversation about Ramadan, your struggles or sharing what special activities you’re doing or foods you may be cooking/etc.
The Bradford College Students Union website now has resources to help students of all communities study, socialise, stay positive and stay safe. As well as help for parents on childcare and keeping the kids happy and busy, there is an Action for Happiness Coping Calendar, a weekly planner and a National Youth Agency support pack with advice and guidance for young people. You can access all this and more at www.bradfordcollegesu.co.uk.
Always remember, the College is here to help if you need it. You can contact Student Services at 01274 088088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.