Contact Lens Certificate
Trade & Professional
34 weeks Part-time
Advanced Technology Centre
This challenging and comprehensive course is aimed at General Optical Council registered Dispensing Opticians who are full members of the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO). The course will fully prepare you to take the ABDO Contact Lens Anatomy, Contact Lens Visual Optics and Contact Lens Practice theoretical examinations, as well as the ABDO Contact Lens Practical Examinations.
The course is approved by the GOC and ABDO.
The course has strong links with industry and frequently has speakers from such companies as:
- Bausch and Lomb
- No7 Contact Lenses
- The Association of Contact Lens Manufacturers (ACLM)
The Contact Lens course at Bradford College is led by the current ABDO Chief Examiner in Contact Lenses. The course has been commended by the GOC for its use of technology in recording and assessing practical demonstrations.
- Contact Lens Practice
- Contact Lens Anatomy
- Contact Lens Visual Optics
- Contact Lens Practical Workshop
You will study the course by attending College on one day per week for 34 weeks.
You need to be a qualified Dispensing Optician and be FBDO and GOC registered.
This course prepares you to take the ABDO Contact Lens examinations. You will be required to take both the theory and the practical examinations set by ABDO in Birmingham, where extra fees are payable.
The contact lens certificate requires students to be in employment with a GOC registered Optical Practice.
Many career opportunities become available as a Contact Lens Optician including:
- Specialising in complex cases within a hospital setting
- Professional services manager roles
- Progression with Education
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to progress to:
- The role of a contact lens optician in a private practice, in the NHS or in a large organisation.
- A management position in an organisation
- Employment with a Contact Lens Manufacturer
- Further training in GRM and MECS allows Qualified GOC registered CLOs to engage in Enhanced services (subject to those services being commissioned in your local area)
- Further specialised training exists in the management of dry eye and myopia control
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service at any time.