BA (Hons) (Top-up) Supporting and Managing Learning in Education
This programme provides you with the opportunity to top-up to a full Honours degree interesting and diverse modules.
Each module has a particular focus which you can then contextualise to your own setting so it is suitable for those working in early years, primary, secondary or colleges.
This two-year part-time route is Stage Three of the degree course. To study on this course you must have completed Stage 1 and Stage 2.
Your future career will be built on a solid foundation of the highest academic standards of teaching and learning – as many of our teaching staff are experts in their fields.
You will be treated as an individual, with degrees often tailored to suit your individual experience, knowledge and interests – helping to support your personal growth and development.
The course offers a range of Education Modules designed to build upon your knowledge of subject areas previously studied and equip you with skills and knowledge that are demanded of those seeking a career in education. During the course, you will also complete an extensive independent study (dissertation) on a subject related to education. If you follow the part-time route, the dissertation will be completed in the first half of the second year.
A wide range of learning and teaching methods are used including: conventional lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops. Increasingly, use is being made of the opportunity provided by new technologies (e.g. Moodle – the College’s VLE) for independent and distance learning. Some elements of the programme may be shared with teachers on In-Service courses, providing you with the chance to share a rich variety of experiences.
- Intergrating the Creative Arts in the Curriculum – This module is designed to develop your knowledge, understanding, experience and skills in teaching and learning about the creative arts subjects in education.
- Greening the Curiculum – This module has been designed to enable you to develop a critical understanding of issues in sustainable development.
- Developing Numeracy and Literacy for all – This module is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding of theories and principles relating to the development of English and Maths within a chosen educational context.
- Personal Philosophy of Education – This module will enable you to develop understanding of your current key skill levels and the ways in which a range of support systems and practices can assist you whilst on this course and in your future career development.
- Dissertation – This module has been designed to provide the opportunity for you to understand the key skills of conducting primary and secondary research in an educational context.
Entry to this course requires a Foundation degree in a relevant subject as well as suitable recent experience within an educational setting.
You should also have appropriate substantial education experience during the last three years, for example as a Teaching Assistant.
Suitable applicants will be invited for an interview.
An on-going placement in an educational setting is essential.
We also consider individual applicants who can demonstrate relevant learning, work/voluntary experience, using our Recognition of Prior Learning process. Please contact the admission team for further information and support.
Each module is subject to an assessment which relates to the material you are studying.
Successful completion of the course will enable you to enter a wide variety of education roles.
This is also an ideal course if you wish to eventually progress into a career in teaching.
It has the advantage of offering you the opportunity to study educational issues before choosing to apply for a Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) course.
Full-time: £8,750 per year.
Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service ay any time.