They’ve had an extraordinary year, when their exceptional hard work and achievements has done Bradford College proud.
And today outstanding students were recognised for their achievements on the final day of the FE Student and Apprenticeship Awards.
Today was the turn of Health, Science and Meditech students to collect awards, along with Arts, Education and Creative and Early Years, Health and Social Care students who were chosen by their tutors to be recognised.
Presenting the awards for Health Sciences, Meditech and Technology, Asa Gordon, Vice Principal, said: “I am delighted to be here today to celebrate this special event with you.”
Achieving Student of the Year for Level 3 Computing as well as Student of the Year for the Health Science, Meditech and Technology department was Sidra Iqbal. Sidra was described as “an exceptionally bright student who consistently delivers high quality work across all units. She is an exceptional student who has excelled in all aspects of her studies over the three years she has been with us. She has accepted a place at a local university and she has a very bright future ahead.”
Nathan Kelly, Head of Arts, Education and Creative Industries, presented Ethan Duckworth with the award for Outstanding Contribution in Arts, Science and Creative Industries. He said: “This student has grown into an excellent media practitioner over the last year. Woking remotely has not always been easy for anyone but he turned the lockdown into an opportunity to develop his creative skillset and built his confidence in film related disciplines.”
Music, Performance and Production student Abigail Swift achieved Overall Student of the Year for the entire department. The talented drummer has been working at a professional level throughout the year and was described as extremely committed and motivated. Abigail has collaborated with professionals in and outside of college to produce two professional pieces of music for her final project, complete with animations and promotion.
Presenting the awards for Early Years and Social Care was Head of Department Wesley McGlinchey. Among the Students of the Year in this category was Ben Powell. Ben has been an inspiration on his Level 3 Health and Social Care course to others in the classroom. Ben said: “I’m proud of myself. I’ve set targets for myself and managed to achieve them. The college has been a really welcoming community.”
Another Student of the Year in this area was Megan Pattison, who has excelled in both her work placement and in college and has helped her peers as well as tutors to stand out above others.
Speaking after receiving the award, Megan said: “Wow! This is incredible! The teachers have been amazing.”
Among her teachers was Natasha White, has gone from being Megan’s fellow student to becoming a tutor at the college.
Natasha enrolled on the Level 3 Part Time course for the Early Years Workforce while working in a nursery in Bradford.
When a post for an Early Years Lecturer at the college became vacant, Megan was asked if she would consider applying. She was interviewed and succeeded in achieving the role, with students excelling in her classes. Natasha said: “I just love seeing Megan here today achieving this award.”
Natasha herself was recognised at the ceremony, receiving the award for Greatest Achievement for her amazing journey from student to teacher.
The winners of today’s awards
Health, Science & Meditech
- A Level Student of the Year 2021 Hamza Mahmood
- Overall Student of the Year 2021 Sidra Iqbal
- Student of the Year 2021 – A Level Biology Hewd Bin-Idris Sommer
- Student of the Year 2021 – L3 Computing Sidra Iqbal
- Student of the Year 2021 – L3 Applied Science (F/Dip) Junaid Ali
- Student of the Year 2021 – L3 Applied Science (F/Dip) Aman Hussain
- Student of the Year 2021 – L3 Applied Science (E/Dip) Sara Sajid
- Student of the Year 2021 – L3 Applied Science (E/Dip) Bilal Zafar
- Student of the Year 2021 – Pharmacy BTEC (L4 Clinical/Dip) Sharron Gargan
- Most enrichment hours completed 2021 Carys Marshall
- Greatest Achievement 2021 Hareth Alshaban
- Outstanding Contribution 2021 Ethan Duckworth
- Most enrichment hours completed 2021 Muhammed Youshaa
- Greatest Achievement 2021 Aksa Ahmed
Bradford School of Art
- Student of the Year 2021 – Performing Arts Oliver Thomas
- Overall Student of the Year 2021 Abigail Swift
- Outstanding Contribution 2021 Salman Shaffique
- Student of the Year 2021 – FE Art & Design Alex Docherty
Early Years and Social Care
- HOD Award 2021 Kadiatu Kamara
- Student of the Year 2021 Isha Darr
- Student of the Year 2021 David Knights
- Student of the Year 2021 Megan Pattison
- Student of the Year 2021 Ben Powell
- Student of the Year 2021 Ruqayyah Hussain
- A level HOD Award 2021 Haroon Khan
- Most enrichment hours completed 2021 Zakariya Aden
- Greatest Achievement 2021 Natasha White
- Outstanding Contribution 2021 Timea Holubova