Pearson Higher National Certificate in Cloud Computing
*Subject to approval*
The Pearson Higher National Certificate in Cloud Computing will enable students to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the foundational concepts of cloud computing, including hands-on practical experience. They will be able to communicate accurately and appropriately and will have the qualities needed for employment that requires some degree of personal responsibility. Students will have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, to take independent initiative, organisational competence and problem-solving strategies. They will be adaptable and flexible in their approach to computing, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within the cloud computing industry.
Bradford College has joined the prestigious worldwide AWS Academy program from Amazon Web Services (AWS). All HE computing students will be given an opportunity to enhance their employability skills, helping to make them ready for the world of work.
AWS Academy is a global program that provides educational institutions with access to cloud computing content to support student learning in a competitive digital workplace. As a member of the AWS Academy, Bradford College will help students become proficient and certified in the use of AWS technologies and ready to join the dynamic cloud IT workforce.
Today’s businesses demand the ability to have cloud-based computer systems, which operate on a global scale. You’ll learn from a well-rounded curriculum in cloud computing, cloud infrastructure, cloud development and cloud security theory and practice, thus maximizing your career potential. As this programme is offered on a full-time basis, over a short timescale of one academic year, it is ideally placed to provide retraining opportunities for those industry professionals who may have recently fallen out of employment due to the rapidly changing landscape of retail outlets and impacts of the global pandemic. For those who are currently in employment and looking to upskill or change careers, then a part-time option of 18 months of study is also offered, where both working and study can take place.
- to equip students with cloud computing skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to be job ready in the cloud computing field
- to provide education and training for a range of careers in cloud computing, with specific emphasis on roles in cloud support, cyber security and software development
- to provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in cloud computing roles or to progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in cloud computing or a related area
- to provide insight and understanding into international cloud computing operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised marketplace
- to equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values
- to provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives
- to provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways
- to provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally recognised professional qualification
- to provide opportunities for students to achieve vendor accredited certifications
- to offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field
- to allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs
- to offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
The course uses a wide range of learning methods with a focus on practical workshops and online supported learning. These are designed to allow you to develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive environment.
Additionally, although contact hours are tutor and group-based, independent learning is increasingly developed throughout the course, and actively encouraged for your personal development; use of problem-based exercises and relevant scenarios aid this process.
At Level 4, students develop a broad knowledge and awareness of key aspects of the cloud sector through eight units, including a unit assessed through a Pearson-set assignment. The units of study are as follows:
Unit 1: Cloud Fundamentals
Unit 2: Networking in the Cloud
Unit 3: Security in the Cloud
Unit 4: Programming
Unit 5: Database Design and Development in the Cloud
Unit 6: Deploying and Operating in the Cloud (Pearson Set)
Unit 7: Website Design and Development in the Cloud
Unit 10: Computer Systems Architecture
This programme can then lead onto progression onto an appropriate BSc honours degree at level 5.
Entry to this course requires a minimum of 48 UCAS Tariff points as well as a minimum of 3 GCSEs at a grade 4/5 or C or above in GCSE English and Maths or an equivalent qualification.
Applications are welcomed and encouraged from those who do not meet the standard entry requirements but can demonstrate the ability to study at Higher Education level.
Some credit points may be built up through prior learning and experience.
For further information please contact: [email protected]
Please note that there are no additional course costs associated with your study on this programme. All equipment is provided by the College. Students are free to purchase their own copies of books to support their studies – but all texts are available for loan from the College Library.
Assessment is centred on the practical and professional skills required by the industry, and therefore you will be specifically focusing on deriving a solution to a specified problem through researching, analysing and evaluating the issue. This creates a workload which is primarily practical, but will be substantiated through written work such as reports and essays. Group work is also used to promote transferable skills where appropriate.
The course does not include any formal work placement or placement year. However, the course assessment will involve the learner working on industry driven projects provided by local stakeholders and AWS Educate. Furthermore, the qualification embeds the AWS Educate Cloud Associate certification programme, so offers learners with the opportunity to be AWS certified or gain certification credit towards other AWS certifications or services.
Successful completion of the HNC in Cloud Computing programme can lead to progression to further studies at on one of our undergraduate computing degrees or enter into employment within the Cloud Computing, Networking and Digital sectors. Furthermore, as this programme is aligned to the AWS Educate programme from Amazon Web Services, successful learners will receive certification that can be used as credit to progress within the AWS training programme or used in conjunction with the HNC qualification to gain employment.
Course fees are £600 per 15 credits.
Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service ay any time.