Diploma in Sports and Exercise Science
NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Physical Activity (Sport and Exercise Science Pathway)
Adult, School Leavers, Level 3
Trinity Green Building
The programme is designed as a 1 year (can be extended to 2 year larger qualification), full time course covering the skills, knowledge and understanding to support progression either into employment in the sports industry or onto further study.
It will allow learners to gain an in-depth understanding of the sport and physical activity sector, give learners the opportunity to investigate career opportunities in the sport and physical activity sector which relates to their own interests, aspirations and progression choices.
Alongside your Sport programme you will also be part of our Sport Development Academy. However, if you demonstrate the right commitment, motivation and skills, a place on our new and exciting Athlete Development Programme, that aims to develop key aspects of your Sports performance, will be achieved.
A range of topics will be covered that will give you a wide range of subject knowledge that will provide the platform for future learning and employment opportunities. See the Modules tab for specific areas covered on this programme.
Learning is delivered through both theory and practical based sessions. Further learning will be carried out on work experience, from visiting guest speakers and on day visits and residential opportunities.
You will also be expected to take responsibility for independent study outside of your timetable, as directed by your tutors, using our Virtual Learning Environment platforms.
Benefits of studying with us:
- You will have the opportunity to access free health and fitness development facilities at Bradford College
- Our lecturers all bring a wealth of experience, from a range of sporting and relevant industrial backgrounds
- Well established links with local, national and international providers allow for valuable experiences to be gained throughout the course
- Progress coaches and intervention officers support your journey to success through your programme of study
You will need to complete the following 3 mandatory units:
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
- Principles of anatomy and physiology
You will also need to complete a further 6 optional units, of which we have selected the following:
- Practical Team Sports
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Analysis of Sport Performance
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Sports Massage
Entry to this course requires 5 GCSEs at a grade 4 or C including GCSE English and Maths. As well as this, you will preferably hold a related qualification e.g. NCFE / BTEC Level 2 Sport qualifications.
A genuine interest in future careers in Sport Coaching / Sport Development / or Higher Education studies in related fields. Positive academic performance on previous college courses or at schools previously attended.
Please note that:
- You will be advised to purchase the course uniform which can be viewed / tried on during the induction process and ordered / purchased online.
- You will also need appropriate training kit for practical activities in the gym / sports facilities.
- Pens, paper and any other relevant stationary, which needs to be brought to all lessons.
- The course text books are available to buy as a paper copy or can be accessed online, free of charge, as an e-book, once you have enrolled.
All 9 units on the course are internally assessed and externally quality assured. Some ways in which you can be assessed on the programme include:
- Written assignments including reports, leaflets and posters
- Practical activities and demonstrations.
- Individual and Group Presentations
It is expected you will cover up to 160 hours work experience on the course. This will include specific placement in sport coaching / development related roles. Our work placement officers will discuss your preferences and arrange these opportunities for you.
Successful completion of this course can lead to progression to:
- Year 2 of course to complete the NCFE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Physical Activity (Sport and Exercise Science Pathway).
- Application for roles in the Sports Industry.
- Application to universities using UCAS points gained on the course.
Athlete Development Programme
If you are selected to be part of this programme, that will run alongside your NCFE Sport & Exercise study programme, you will benefit from sessions on 4 specific elements that aim to develop you as a sport performing athlete. This includes:-
1 – Sports Skills Development – Sports coaching on chosen multi-sports options including football, rugby, racket sports and netball. This will include both internal and external fixtures and Competitions. Skills sessions will be run by our qualified coaching staff, supported by with external club coaches including Bradford Bulls.
2 – Sports Performance Analysis – Using some of the best sports performance analysis systems and software learners can use own club, and college coaching session footage, to analyse and develop your own performance. Our planned state of the art sports performance lab will bring a new dimension to this element.
3 – Sports Strength and Conditioning – Each learner will have their own bespoke training programme created for them related to their chosen sport and development needs to further enhance their performance. This will be accessed via structured phone application and overseen by highly qualified staff in our modern, well-resourced fitness suite. Regular fitness progress testing and competitions will complete this element of your development programme.
4– Sports Recovery – This element will involve flexibility and mobility sessions, massage therapies, ice baths and use of steam room and saunas in our spa facility. Informative lifestyle and wellbeing sessions will also support knowledge of sport and exercise recovery.
If you are 16 to 18 years old you won’t have to pay tuition fees. If you’re 19 or older you may need to pay a fee.
This is representative of the most common fees scenario, but actual fees can vary depending on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need more guidance.
If you have any questions or require any additional information, please contact [email protected]
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service at any time.