Please note that the following information is provided for guidance only. You should refer to the Home Office website to get definitive advice.

If you leave the UK when you finish your studies and wish to return to attend your graduation ceremony, you should be able to apply to enter the UK as a visitor and may require a letter of invitation from the College.

If you are not sure whether you need a letter from the College, please contact your local Visa Application Centre or Embassy for confirmation. Information on applying for entry clearance as a visitor is available from the Home Office. The final decision to issue a visa remains with the Entry Clearance Officer and not the College. Please note that the College is not able to sponsor students under Tier 4 who have finished their studies and who wish to return to attend their graduation ceremony.

Requesting a letter for yourself

If you require a letter for yourself, we strongly advise that you make an online request as soon as possible due to the time taken to receive an Embassy appointment. Send your request to [email protected] and ensure it contains the following details:

  • Family name
  • First name(s)
  • Award and course title (e.g. BSc, MA, PhD and title)
  • Date of birth
  • Student Number
  • Email address
  • Delivery arrangements: Tell us whether you wish to collect the letter or have it posted to you
  • Postal address if you wish to have the letter sent to you

We will aim to have the letter prepared for you within five working days from the submission of your request. The letter will either be posted to the address you supplied in your form or will be available for collection from Reception in Student Admin Office, Room B15 at the Old Building.

Family and friends

We do not provide a letter for family and friends as it is not a requirement of the visitor rules. As the graduate, the letter of invitation should come from you. We provide the general information below but you should refer to the authorities for definitive advice.

If your family/friends will be attending, then in most cases, where they are planning a single trip to the UK for your graduation, the appropriate visa type is the General Visitor Visa (VAF1A) which can be granted for a maximum of 6 months. For more details on how to apply for the General Visitor visa, please visit the Home Office website.

Some visa application centres will only accept online applications. To find out if your family and friends must apply online, please see Visa4UK:

If your country does not support online applications, the application forms are available from the Home Office website. Ensure your guests carefully read the guidance notes and other helpful information on the Home Office website.

 They will generally need the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Two passport photographs
  • The entry clearance fee in local currency
  • Evidence that they have enough money to support themselves whilst in the UK, for example, bank statements, payslips, or a letter from their employer.  Unless you intend to support them financially during their visit (which is very unusual) they will not need your bank statements.
  • A short invitation letter from you, confirming your relationship with them and the reason you are inviting them to come to the UK. The Related Documents section at the top, right hand side of this page has a link to a sample guest invitation letter. It will need amending, should you choose to use it.
  • If you are currently in the UK, you should send a photocopy of your passport (the photograph page), of your current student visa or biometric residence permit and of your police registration certificate if you have one.  Do not send originals.
  • Evidence that your family have every reason to leave the UK at the end of their visit, for example a letter from their employer.

If you have plans (an itinerary) for their visit then write it down and give it to your visitors. For example Day 1: Collect from Leeds Bradford airport. Day 2: Tour of Bradford shops Day 3: Visit Leeds by train. Day 4: Coach trip to Howarth, etc. You can include hotel or tour bookings if you have any.