Music and performance for the Creative Industries
Express yourself through music or drama to entertain and inspire!
If you have the passion to study Music at degree level, study with us and you’ll be spoilt for choice in the ways you will develop your musical talents, skills and theory.
You’ll immerse yourself in music-making opportunities, whether it’s performing solo or as part of an ensemble at numerous concerts, recitals and informal gigs. You’ll join forces with our Film, Performing Arts and Media Make-up students on exciting collaborative film-making projects and trips off campus. Past projects have taken our students out into the Yorkshire region and overseas in countries such as Germany and Spain. See our music students' photo gallery.
We have some great resources, brand new iMacs, professional recording equipment and live sound equipment.
Music Tutor John Dey
Studying here will prepare you for a vast array of careers within the music industry, such as a musician, singer, composer, songwriter, live sound engineer, producer or studio engineer.
Breakthrough to industry with our Performing Arts degree!
Perfect for all budding actors and performers, this course will prepare you for your dramatic debut. Within your degree you’ll develop your skills base in singing, dancing, TV technique and method acting, and within your second year you’ll specialise in your preferred discipline.
Our collaboration with the Royal Shakespeare Company will give you the unique educational opportunity to bring the famous playwright’s work to life.
You’ll also venture out on related visits, such as Media City in Salford, and be heavily involved in collaborative filmmaking projects in the UK and abroad with students from other Arts disciplines.
On completion of your degree, you’ll have the skills to work in this highly competitive sector in fields such as television, film and theatre.
- Studio theatres with flexible staging and seating
- Professional sound and lighting system
- Touring lighting and sound rigs and photo studios
- Access to film and TV studios
- Local facilities include Deershed Festival, Kala Sangam, The Delius Arts & Cultural Centre and The Alhambra Theatre.
Professional music equipment
- Practice rooms equipped with pianos, drum kits and guitars
- Recording and live sound mixing desks by Allen, Heath, and Mackie
- Microphones and recording equipment, including Logic Pro digital audio workstations and Sibelius notation software
- Our main venue, fully equipped with a professional audio rig and a 6-way powered monitor system for live sound training.
The average salary for graduates is 30% higher than for non-graduates aged 25-30.
|Average salaries per annum|
|Music Promotions Manager||£12,000 to £60,000|
|Live Sound Engineer||£25,000 to £40,000|
|Studio Sound Engineer||£15,000 to £40,000|
|TV or Film Sound Technician||£16,000 to £35,000|