- Travel – no travel payments or bus passes will be made/issued until classes resume as normal.
- Childcare Payments – As nurseries are now closed for student use, the Learner Support Fund will not be making any further childcare payments. We will be informing nurseries of this change.
Applying for the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund 2019/20*
If you have applied for the Advanced Learner Loan to pay for your tuition fees and also have a household income of £25,000 or under, you can apply to the Learner Support Fund for help towards the costs of doing a course at the College. Eligible students may receive help with the following:
- Materials costs - books, uniform, kits, stationary
- Travel costs
- Childcare costs
How to apply
Once you have enrolled on your course, you need to apply as soon as possible. If you wait until later in the year you may lose out on money that is available for you.
There are two ways to apply to the Learner Support Fund:
- Online. You will need to register, complete a short application form and upload the supporting documents you are asked to provide. As soon as your application is assessed you will be able to see your award letter and details of your grant on the PayMyStudent portal. A copy of these will also be sent to you in the post.
- Paper application. Complete the form and bring it, together with the required documents to see a member of the Student Finance Team, Ground Floor, David Hockney Building. You may be seen straight away, but you might be asked to come back later. When you are seen you will be asked some additional questions and an assessment will be done straight away. If you are eligible you will be told how much you will receive. In some situations a decision may not be made immediately. In this case your decision will be sent to you by post.
August to October is a very busy time. If you come in person you will have to queue. If you are queueing and there is no chance you will be seen within a reasonable time, you will be told and asked to come back at another time.
All bursary payments from the Learner Support Fund depend on students meeting a 'required level of attendance'. Therefore, you must attend your classes in order to meet the attendance criteria and continue to receive your Learner Support Fund grant. If your attendance drops below 85% you may lose your bursary.
* Eligibility criteria applies