What is Moodle?
Moodle is the College’s VLE (Virtual Learning Environment). It is used to support teaching and learning online.
Moodle is available to students at any time on any internet-connected computer, laptop or device with a web browser both on and off the college campus.
The real advantage of Moodle is that you can catch up on your work at any time and do not necessarily need to be on campus to do all your research. Moodle is a media rich environment where you can, as appropriate to your programme:
- choose to view or download resources or revisit classroom activities online
- watch short video clips, or specially selected TV programmes, listen to audio or podcasts
- see scheduled events on the calendar helping you to organise your time and remind you of important assignment and exams dates
- easily and quickly submit your assignments online without having to come into college and view grades and feedback at the same time (summative assignments can be monitored for plagiarism)
- track and monitor your own progress by taking online quizzes and informal tests
- communicate with your peers through the discussion forums and share ideas and experiences
- send messages directly to your tutor and other learners on your programme
- gain access to a wide range of electronic resources and journals to help with your research and assignments
- access e-books online
How Do I access Moodle?
In order to start using Moodle you need to activate your college IT account. As well as accessing Moodle, this username and password can be used to access your e-mail, your College document storage and to log into a PC on campus.
To access Moodle, simply visit http://moodle.bradfordcollege.ac.uk. We advise you to bookmark or otherwise save this link for your convenience.
How do I know if I have access to Online Learning?
Your tutor will let you know if you have access to any online learning material. All learners who have enrolled at the College have access to Moodle however it is not always the case that you have access to an online module you are studying. If in doubt, ask your tutor. Even if you do not have any courses online you can still use the Library subject pages which will provide resources to help your studies.
What happens when I log in to Moodle for the first time?
In order to start using Moodle you need to activate your IT account. As well as accessing Moodle this username and password can be used to access your email, your College document storage and to log into a PC on campus.
Once you have logged in you can click on Update Profile and then type in the relevant information about yourself. During your induction into your online learning space your tutor might have some digital cameras available so that you can take your piccie in class.
When you need help with Moodle
For help and assistance with Moodle VLE, please use the support links found on Moodle, which include a contact form. This will raise a support ticket and allow us to investigate your issue.
If you're unable to access Moodle or if you cannot raise a support ticket, please send an e-mail to [email protected].
When contacting the VLE support team, you should include:
- Your student ID number
- Your full name
- Details about what you're experiencing difficulty with, including any links if available
You can also ask for help from a member of staff when you are in college libraries.