The BA (Hons) Technical and Production Arts for Film and TV course cultivates craft and technical design skills as well an ability to plan and prepare production requirements. It draws on both practical art & design skills as well as developing and understanding of pre-production, production and production management skills for film and tv production. It develops problem solving skills, including creativity; practical and interpersonal skills; team working, leadership and communication.
Strong industry links across Yorkshire and the North will enable entry to many opportunities for work experience and future employment. As part of the course you will gain exposure to the film and television industry particularly in Yorkshire.
By utilising project based learning via industry links/work experience opportunities, you will develop a framework of skills and creative knowledge that are associated with film and TV professional practice. You will be encouraged to develop a creative identity, work autonomously and negotiate self-directed projects.
The BA (Hons) programme is three years full-time and up to six years part-time. Overall, the number and level of credits for this qualification are 120 credits at Level HE4, 120 credits at HE5 and 120 credits at HE6 – making a total of 360 credits.
Year 1 - Level 4:
- Introduction to Design Practice for Film and TV (20 credits)
- Sound and Lighting Techniques for Film and TV (20 credits)
- Drawing Techniques for Production Design (20 credits)
- Introduction to CAD for Production Design (20 credits)
- Collaboration, Teams and Techniques (20 credits)
- Creative Industries Context (20 credits)
Year 2 - Level 5:
- Production Management in the Creative Industries (20 credits)
- Sound and Lighting Design for a Film or TV Production (20 credits)
- Costume Design and Implementation (20 credits)
- Production Design and Implementation (20 credits)
- Exploring Design Practice for Film and Television production (20 credits)
- Creative Industries Professional Practice and Entrepreneurship (20 credits)
Year 3 - Level 6:
- Pre-Production Professional Portfolio (20 credits)
- Independent Project (40 credits)
- Creative Technology (20 credits)
- Freelance Working and Self-Employment in the Creative Industries (20 credits)
Advanced Production Management (20 credits)
Advanced Production Design (20 credits)
Advanced Technical Design for Production (20 credits).
Learning and teaching methods apply a blended style. This may include lectures, seminars, tutorials and critiques, self-directed learning, e-learning and workshop sessions, as well as online. Practical skills are acquired through technical introduction and support, workshop sessions, demonstrations and activity-based assignments.
You will be expected to develop vocational skills that will help them to learn in a more real world and vocational higher education scenario.
Assessment is carried out at key points during teaching. Formative assessment with either verbal and/or written feedback is offered during each module.
Types of assessment evidence can include: assignments, projects, case study, reflective and evaluative journals, blogging, portfolio development, peer to peer critiques, viva interviews, artefacts, performance, reports, scale models, and presentations, exhibitions, video, film and photographs.
Group critique and presentation by teams will take place and will form an essential part the creative learning process.
80 UCAS points.
A minimum of two A level passes (or equivalent), including at least one creative subject which includes Art and Design and five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent), including English.
Information, Advice and Support
Help with choosing the right course and with thinking about where this might take you in the future.
Tel: 01274 433043
Email: [email protected]
Support for applicants with a learning difficulty, disability, illness or other learning need.
Tel: 01274 438999
Email: [email protected]
For all other queries call 01274 088088