The Trinity College London accredited Cert TESOL is an initial training qualification to equip you with the basic skills and knowledge needed to take up a first post as an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) or ESOL teacher. Accredited at Level 5 on the UK National Qualifications Framework, it gives an introduction to the theory and practice of contemporary English teaching and an insight into the challenges facing the learner and the teacher.
The course is a mixture of classroom-based activity, teaching practice and self-study.
Attendance is on Mondays, 13.30 to 19.00.
The programme consists of five Units:
Unit 1: Teaching Skills
Unit 2: Language Awareness (Grammar and Phonology)
Unit 3: The Learner Profile
Unit 4: The Materials Assignment
Unit 5: The Unknown Language.
The course uses a range of learning methods including:
- Group activities
- Observations of teaching
- Practical teaching, peer support
- Reflective thinking
- Use of the College’s Virtual Learning Environment for self-study.
Teaching methods include:
- Online support
- Feedback sessions.
Assessment methods include:
- Lesson planning, delivery and tutor’s evaluation of teaching practice
- Reflective teaching journal
- Open book test
- Preparation of a learner profile
- Materials development and evaluation
- Reflection on learning the basics of an unknown language.
You will be required to teach groups of students for at least six hours and to observe experienced teachers for four hours. You will produce a teaching journal in which you will reflect on your experiences.
The Trinity Cert TESOL is an initial teaching qualification. On completion, you may go on to complete a full Diploma in TESOL or in Education and Training. The course may enhance opportunities for progression or a change in work roles or contexts.
Did You Know?
- You will be taught by a team of highly experienced and enthusiastic TESOL professionals.
- You will work with ESOL/EFL students from a wide range of backgrounds.
- In our established and renowned School of Education, you will be well supported by your tutors and peers.
- You will have access to a wide range of high quality resources.
The Trinity Cert TESOL is designed for those with little or no experience of teaching ESOL/EFL. It is available to people of all professional backgrounds who are attracted to the English teaching profession, either as a long-term career or for a shorter period to help them travel the world and experience life in different cultures.
The minimum age to join a Cert TESOL course is 18. You should hold qualifications for entry to Higher Education for example, A level/BTEC or equivalent and also have competence in written and spoken English appropriate to a teacher of English. You should hold GCSE English at Grade C or above or IELTS 7.0 or above or an equivalent qualification.
Information, Advice and Support
Help with choosing the right course and with thinking about where this might take you in the future.
Tel: 01274 433043
Email: [email protected]
Support for applicants with a learning difficulty, disability, illness or other learning need.
Tel: 01274 433133
Email: [email protected]
For all other queries call 01274 088088