This programme of study is designed to develop your knowledge of business and related subject areas with a vocational focus.
The qualifications have been developed in close collaboration with experts from professional bodies, businesses and universities. As such, the qualifications are up-to-date with what is expected by both employers and Higher Education professionals.
The course is designed to produce highly qualified, employment-ready graduates who are able to play leading roles in a wide range of business management related careers.
Upon completion of the course, you will be in a position to progress to the final year top-up in BA (Hons) Business Management or pursue a professional qualification in your chosen discipline.
This programme is studied over two academic years.
In the first year of study you will complete eight Level 4 Units (120 Credits).
In the second year of study you will complete seven Level 5 Units (120 Credits).
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business (Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management) consists of eight Core Units at Level 4 in the first year of study. Studying these Units in your first year will enable you to gain a broad knowledge and awareness of key aspects of the business sector.
- Business and Business Environments
- Marketing Essentials
- Human Resource Management
- Management and Operations
- Management Accounting
- Managing a Successful Business Project
- Business Law
- Financial Accounting.
In the second year, you will study the following Units:
- Research Project (30 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour
- Business Strategy
- Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations
- Identifying Entrepreneurial Opportunities
- Launching a new Venture
- Managing and Running a Small Business.
You will experience a variety of learning methods including:
- Guest Speakers
- Field Trips
All learning is supported by Moodle, our Virtual Learning Environment.
Assessments may include elements of:
- Practical assessments
- Portfolios of evidence
- Live events
- Data analysis
- Case studies
- Examinations, both open and closed book
- Reflective activities where you look back over your experiences, analyse them with the assistance of relevant theory and reflective tools, and learn from the experience;
- Online discussions that you have had with your peers, tutors and invited contributors to the programme;
- Oral and written reports;
- Journals, blogs and log books
- Plans (eg action plans, plans for your group activities)
No work placement is included on this programme.
On completion of the HND in Business (Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management), you may choose to top-up your qualification to a full BA (Hons) degree in BA (Hons) Business Management in our Business School.
- 2016 entry: 180 UCAS points
- 2017 entry: 72 UCAS points
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business.
- A GCE Advanced Level Profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. Supported by a minimum of three GCSEs at Grade C/4-5 or above including Maths and English.
- A Level 3 related qualification.
- Award of a full Access Certificate by a licensed Access Validating Agency.
- Key Skills Level 3 (Application of Number, Communication and ICT) and Compact Students with evidence of participation.
Non-standard applicants will be required to produce evidence of their ability to study at the Higher Education level. Short-course and relevant work experience may be taken into account. Non-standard applicants may be interviewed and may be required to complete a piece of written work as part of their application. Claims for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) are welcomed by the Programme team. Students should consult the Admissions Tutor if they wish to claim such recognition.
International students are additionally required to achieve an overall score of 5.5 (with each subset no lower than 5.5) in IELTS. Please consult the Admissions department for further details.
As a partner in the Higher Education Access Rewarding Transforming (HEART) partnership we have committed ourselves to a progression agreement for a range of Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) awards. When applying please state that you are seeking progression from a CMI or an ILM award, providing exact details of the award achieved or pending achievement.
Information, Advice and Support
Help with choosing the right course and with thinking about where this might take you in the future.
Tel: 01274 433043
Support for applicants with a learning difficulty, disability, illness or other learning need.
Tel: 01274 438999
For all other queries call 01274 433333