Level 3 Sports Coaching and Development
Sports & Fitness
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development
Adult, School Leavers, Level 3
1 year Full-time
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development is intended for learners who want to progress directly to employment in a sports coaching or sports development role. The qualification is also suitable for those wishing to progress to higher education.
The sport sector is a fast-growing industry. It is currently worth £39 billion to the economy and continues to grow annually (‘Sporting Future: A New Strategy for an Active Nation DCMS, 2015’) – now is the perfect time to train in Sports Coaching.
Topics covered include Health and Wellbeing, Sport Development as well as Anatomy and Physiology.
Learning is delivered through both theory and practical based sessions. Further learning will be carried out on work experience, from visiting guest speakers and on day visits and residential opportunities.
You will also be expected to take responsibility for independent study outside of your timetable, as directed by your tutors, using Moodle, the Virtual Learning Environment platform.
Modules you will study in year 1 include the following 5 mandatory units:
- Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
- Sport Development
- Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
One further unit will be selected from the following options:
- Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Practical Sports Application
- Organising Events in Sport and Physical Activities
Entry to this course requires 5 GCSEs at a grade 4 or C including GCSE English and Maths. As well as this, you will preferably hold a related qualification e.g. NCFE / BTEC Level 2 Sport qualifications.
A genuine interest in future careers in Sport Coaching / Sport Development / or Higher Education studies in related fields. Positive academic performance on previous college courses or at schools previously attended.
Please note that:
- You will be advised to purchase the course uniform which can be viewed / tried on during the induction process and ordered / purchased online.
- You will also need appropriate training kit for practical activities in the gym / sports facilities.
- Pens, paper and any other relevant stationary, which needs to be brought to all lessons.
- The course text books are available to buy as a paper copy or can be accessed online, free of charge, as an e-book, once you have enrolled.
All 6 units on the course are internally assessed. Ways in which you can be assessed include:
- Written assignments including reports, leaflets and posters
- Synoptic Assessment # – Applying learning, knowledge, skills to a vocational task
- Practical activities / Role Play
- Individual and Group Presentations
# The synoptic assessment is carried out on the Developing Coaching Skills unit
It is expected you will cover up to 160 hours work experience on the course. This will include specific placement in sport coaching / development related roles. Our work placement officers will discuss your preferences and arrange these opportunities for you.
Successful completion of this course can lead to progression to:
- Year 2 of course to complete the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development
- Application for roles in the Sports Industry
- Application to universities using UCAS points gained on the course
If you are 16 to 18 years old you won't have to pay tuition fees. If you're 19 or older you may need to pay a fee.
Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service ay any time.