Principles and Practice for Pharmacy Support Staff
Pearson/Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Certificate in the Principles and Practice for Pharmacy Support Staff
Adult, School Leavers
Advanced Technology Centre
If you are passionate about a career in the pharmaceutical sector and are a non-qualified Pharmacy or Dispensing Assistant working in a pharmacy environment, this is the ideal course for you.
The course is offered through blended learning and start dates can be arranged to suit individual needs.
Pharmacy Support Staff work in many different roles across different settings, including (but not exclusively); registered pharmacies, community services, justice (the Prison Service), GP practices, dispensing doctors’ practices, care homes and clinical commissioning groups, hospitals, mental health and in the pharmaceutical industry. Pharmacy Support Staff play a key role in supporting the work of pharmacy professionals, such as the Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacist, in providing safe and effective pharmacy services. The actual work setting will determine the work activity that the Pharmacy Support Staff undertakes.
The qualification gives learners the opportunity to:
- develop the fundamental technical skills and underpinning knowledge and understanding to perform their particular role safely and effectively.
- develop appropriate attitudes and behaviours that will support personal success in their job role and the long-term success of their organisation.
- develop a range of interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, to support progression to, and success in, further study and career advancement.
- achieve a nationally recognised Level 2 qualification, recognised by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
To get the most out of this qualification, you will need to enjoy all aspects of pharmacy work – working and communicating with people, meeting clients’ needs and working within a caring profession.
This eighteen-month course is designed to provide the skills and knowledge required to become competent in supporting individuals in the Pharmacy sector, as part of the wider healthcare team. Units covered will depend on the role you are undertaking in the workplace.
- Person-centred Care and Communication
- Principles of Health and Safety for Pharmacy Support Staff
- Effective Teamwork within Pharmacy Services
- Personal Development for Pharmacy Support Staff
- Dispensing and Supply of Prescribed Medicines and Medicinal Products
- Managing Pharmaceutical Stock
- Principles of Safe Preparation and Manufacturing of Medicines and Pharmaceutical Products
- Selling Over the Counter Medicines and Medicinal Products
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. However, you must be working for a UK-registered pharmacist in a pharmacy to undertake this course. These are the requirements of the Pharmacy Regulator. You will also be required to have a PC with access to the internet in the workplace.
For more information regarding enrolment and entry requirements, please contact our Special Projects Officer, Karen Piotr [email protected].
For more information regarding the course, please contact our Pharmacy Skills Lead, Sam Bradshaw [email protected].
You will be assessed throughout the course using: written assignments, and skills assessments in the workplace.
If you have any questions or require any additional information, please contact [email protected]
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service at any time.