Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sports Coaching
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sports Coaching
Adult, School Leavers, Level 3
1 year Full-time
Trinity Green Building
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sports Coaching is intended for learners who want to progress directly to employment in a sports coaching role. The qualification is also suitable for those wishing to progress to higher education.
The sport sector is a fast-growing industry. It is currently worth £39 billion to the economy and continues to grow annually (‘Sporting Future: A New Strategy for an Active Nation DCMS, 2015’). Offering progression to personal training and working in the health and fitness industry – now is the perfect time to train in sports coaching!
Learning is delivered through both theory and practical based sessions. Further learning will be carried out on work experience, from visiting guest speakers and on day visits and residential opportunities.
You will also be expected to take responsibility for independent study outside of your timetable, as directed by your tutors, using Moodle, the Virtual Learning Environment platform.
Modules you will study in year 1 include the following 3 mandatory units:
- Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
Benefits of studying with us:
- You will have the opportunity to access free health and fitness development facilities at Bradford College
- Our lecturers all bring a wealth of experience, from a range of sporting and relevant industrial backgrounds
- Well established links with local providers allow for valuable experiences to be gained throughout the course
- Progress coaches and intervention officers support your journey to success through your programme of study
Entry to this course requires 4 GCSES at a grade 4 or C and above, preferably including GCSE English and Maths but it is possible to have one GCSE still to study, preferably Maths only. Each individual learner/grade profile will be reviewed for their suitability for the course. Preferably a related qualification e.g. NCFE / BTEC Level 2 Sport qualifications.
A genuine interest in future careers in Sport Coaching / Sport Development / or Higher Education studies in related fields. Positive academic performance on previous college courses or at schools previously attended.
You will also require:
- You will be advised to purchase the course uniform which can be viewed / tried on during the induction process and ordered / purchased online
- You will also need appropriate training kit for practical activities in the gym / sports facilities
- Pens, paper and any other relevant stationary, which needs to be brought to all lessons
- The course text books are available to buy as a paper copy or can be accessed online, free of charge, as an e-book, once you have enrolled
All three units on the course are internally assessed. Assessment includes:
- Written assignments including reports, leaflets and posters.
- Synoptic Assessment – Applying learning, knowledge, skills to a vocational task.*
- Practical activities / Role Play
- Individual and Group Presentations
*The synoptic assessment is carried out on the Developing Coaching Skills unit.
It is expected you will cover up to 80 hours work experience on the course. This will include specific placement in sport coaching / development related roles. Our work placement officers will discuss your preferences and arrange these opportunities for you.
Successful completion of this course can lead to progression to:
- Year 2 of course to complete the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development
- Application for roles in the Sports industry
- Application to universities using UCAS points gained on the course
If you are 16 to 18 years old you won't have to pay tuition fees. If you're 19 or older you may need to pay a fee.
This is representative of the most common fees scenario, but actual fees can vary depending on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need more guidance.
If you have any questions or require any additional information, please contact [email protected]
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service at any time.