Course Overview

Passionate about film, the major art form of the 20th century? We are too!

Here at Bradford College, we love film. We love making films, we love teaching film, and we love watching and analysing films. If you do too, this dynamic and stimulating course might be the place for you. It is a truly contemporary subject which is relevant to all our learners' lives. Films saturate everything we do. Giving learner’s the tools to analyse and critique films affords them the chance to see the ways in which films pervades their lives.


Course Structure

Looking at a variety of film forms, everything from Hollywood Blockbusters, film history, film criticism to art house movies and taking in screenwriting, analysis, directing, and camera work along the way. You will engage in discussions, debates, case studies, personal research and practical projects building on skills that can be applied to a vast array of professions, including film/TV director, editor, camera operator, researcher, journalist, teacher, historian, animator and many more.

Core content:

  • Ideology
  • Representation
  • Narrative and Genre
  • Social, Political, Cultural and Historical content
  • Audience theory
  • Film Meaning and Mise en Scene.


Entry Requirements

Five GCSEs at a minimum of Grade C/4 including English and mathematics.



How Will I Learn?

  • Viewing films followed by discussion and debate
  • Presentations
  • Small group work briefs and tasks
  • Independent research
  • Tutorials in editing or filming
  • Objective and critical viewing of texts, for example films.

Skills You Will Develop

As well as practical filmmaking skills such as how to operate a camera and edit footage, you will also have developed skills which will make you attractive to employers in a wide variety of fields. These include research and communication skills, critical thinking, project management and the ability to organise your time effectively and work to deadlines.


Typical career paths for students studying Film Studies include:

  • Film making
  • Work within digital media & animation
  • Film Editor
  • Director
  • Producer
  • Researcher
  • Camera Operator
  • Director of Photography
  • Journalist
  • Teacher
  • Writer.

Expect Also To

You will have:

  • The chance to enjoy a fresh new subject, using state of the art facilities, which may lead you to media industry work in the future
  • Trips and cinema or other visits
  • An extremely enjoyable, yet challenging, experience.

How You Will Be Assessed

There are two exams equating to 70% of the overall mark. The other 30% is an internally assessed and externally moderated creative project created by the students. Both papers are a mix of question styles to longer extended essay style answers.

Paper 1 Varieties of Film and Filmmaking:

  • Written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
  • 90 marks 35% of A-level

Paper 2 Global Filmmaking Perspectives:

  • Written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
  • 90 marks
  • 35% of A level

Cross - Media Production:

  • 60 marks
  • 30% of A level.

Things You May Need

  • You must have a mature outlook, well motivated and able to work both in small groups and alone on a range of tasks outside the classroom, including practical
  • Your organisational and time management skills must be excellent
  • You must be enthusiastic about media, TV and film.

Information, Advice and Support

Careers Guidance

Help with choosing the right course and with thinking about where this might take you in the future.
Email: [email protected]

Student Finance

Money matters - you may be entitled to financial support whilst you study.
Tel: 01274 088349.
Email: [email protected]

Learning Support

Support for applicants with a learning difficulty, disability, illness or other learning need.
Tel: 01274 088344
Email: [email protected]

For all other queries call 01274 088088

Tuition Fees

If you are aged 19+ and studying a Further Education Course at Bradford College, you may have to pay course fees. Course fees are dependent on the number of hours and which course is being taken. Actual costs can be obtained from our team.
Email: [email protected].