BSc (Hons) Networking Infrastructure and Security
Computing & IT
BSc (Hons) Networking Infrastructure and Security (awarded by the University of Bolton)
University, Level 6
3 years Full-time, 6 years Part-time
Full-time or Part-time
Our innovative course combines the study of secure networked systems, infrastructure and associated services and therefore aims to provide you not only with a core set of technical skills, but the knowledge of technology to best use them.
We also aim to prepare you for the competitive computing industry by training you in a range of vendors, which is increasingly sought after in the sector.
In your final year, you will have the freedom to specialise in a preferred area of study, which your Final Year Project will be based around.
We also place particular emphasis on employment in the field, and your accumulative body of work will be brought together to form a portfolio to showcase to potential employers.
Our degree course is an opportunity for you to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to address industry challenges and meet the demand.
We have a three-year programme for those who meet the UCAS points. This can be studied on a full-time basis (three years) or on a part-time basis (six years). We also have a four-year programme which includes a foundation year for those who may not have achieved the required UCAS points. This can be studied on a full-time basis only.
If you only need to study the Top-up level 6, this can be studied on a one-year full-time basis or a two-year part-time basis.
Today’s businesses demand the ability to have computer systems and networks, which operate on a global scale. You’ll learn from a well-rounded curriculum in computer network infrastructure, programming, server systems, security theory and practice, as well as management-level skills, maximizing your career potential.
The course uses a wide range of learning methods with a focus on practical workshops. These are designed to allow you to develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive environment. Additionally, although contact hours are tutor and group-based, independent learning is increasingly developed throughout the course, and actively encouraged for your personal development; use of problem-based exercises and relevant scenarios aid this process.
- Learn within a practical lab environment
- Develop critical skills and cutting edge thinking to gain the confidence to keep up with the fast pace of change in this field
- Develop technical knowledge of the installation, operation security, and maintenance of computer systems and networks used in business and industry
- Develop industry-critical key skills such as team working, communication and business skills
- Learn the fundamentals of data communications and how to apply this knowledge to manage, design, implement, configure and operate secure networks on a professional footing
- Learn how to identify a range of significant threats to network security and formulate and implement defence strategies
- Have the opportunity to gain additional accreditation from Cisco, CompTIA and AWS
- Have opportunities to work on real-life projects
For students who have not achieved the required entry requirements to enrol, there is an option for a Foundation year (48 UCAS points entry) which is a 4-year programme.
Year 1 (Level 4):
- Automated Security Fundamentals
- Introduction to Academic Skills
- End Point Management
- Coding and API Principles
- Introduction to Network Environments
- Introduction to Server Management
Year 2 (Level 5):
- Helpdesk Management
- System Administration and Operation
- Network Performance Monitoring
- Routing and Switching Environments
- Core Security Implementation and Management
- Cloud Concepts (AWS)
Year 3 (Level 6):
- Scaling Networks for the Enterprise
- Network Vulnerability Management
- Cloud Solutions (AWS)
- Employability Skills for Computer Graduates
- Final Year Project
Entry to this course requires 80 UCAS tariff points (48 for Foundation entry) as well as GCSE English and Maths at grade 4 or C.
Applications are welcomed and encouraged by those who do not meet the standard entry requirements but can demonstrate the ability to study at Higher Education level. Some credit points may be built up through prior learning and experience. We also consider individual applicants who can demonstrate relevant learning, work/voluntary experience, using our Recognition of Prior Learning process. Please contact the admissions team for further information and support.
Assessment is centred on the practical and professional skills required by the industry, and therefore you will be specifically focusing on deriving a solution to a specified problem through researching, analysing and evaluating the issue.
This creates a workload which is mostly practical but will be built on through written work such as reports and essays.
Group work is also used to promote transferable skills where appropriate.
Fees: Full-time: £8,750 per year.
This is representative of the most common fees scenario, but actual fees can vary depending on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need more guidance.
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service ay any time.