Access to Higher Education – Childhood Studies
Early Years & Childcare
ASCENTIS Level 3 Access to Higher Education Diploma in Childhood Studies
Access to Higher Education, Adult, Level 3
36 weeks Full-time
Completing an Access to HE Diploma in Childhood Studies allows learners to progress onto a degree in Childhood Studies, Early Childhood, Youth Studies and other related subject areas. This can lead to a career working with children in a wide range of sectors including education, social care, health and charity sectors.
Studying an Access to HE Diploma in Childhood Studies is an excellent way to maximise job prospects as not all related careers need a degree. For example, after completing the course learners can work as a Nursery Assistant/ Practitioner, Learning Support Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Youth Worker without a degree.
You will develop:
- Independent Research Referencing (Harvard)
- Critical Thinking and Evaluative Skills
- Word Processing (including the use of footnotes)
- Time Management
- ILT (Information and Learning Technology – including the use of Virtual Learning Environments and the library online Solving or Offering Solutions to problems
Examples of modules include:
- Childhood Studies
- Child Development
- Education Studies
- Education Theory and Practice
- Health Studies
- Practical Scientific Project
- Professional Healthcare Practice
- Social Work
- Social Issues in Healthcare
Entry to this course requires GCSE English and Maths at a grade 4 or C. You are at least 19 years old on 1st September (18 year olds will be accepted by exception / interview) You must also have sufficient levels of Literacy and Numeracy.
Some universities and professions, such as teaching, nursing and childcare, also require you to have a GCSE in Science at grade 4 or C or above as an entry requirement.
Additional requirements include:
- Evidence of recent study is desirable
- An idea of the Higher Education courses you wish to apply for
- An ability to undertake independent study
- Time management is essential as this course requires high levels of self-motivation and organisation
- Finance in place ready to commence study
A variety of methods including self-assessment, coursework and time constrained exercises.
Successful completion of this course can lead to work as a Nursery Assistant/ Practitioner, Learning Support Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Youth Worker without a degree. Studying an Access to HE Diploma in Childhood Studies is an excellent way to maximise job prospects as not all related careers need a degree.
Fees: Course fees are £3485, these fees can be self-funded or you can apply for an Adult Learner Loan to help to fund your studies. (Fee remission is available). If you have not studied at Level 3 before, your course fees may be waived. There may be some additional costs for specialist books.
This is representative of the most common fees scenario, but actual fees can vary depending on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need more guidance.
Disclaimer: Our prospectus, college documents and website are simply here to offer a guide. We accept no liability for any inaccurate statements and are not responsible for any negative outcomes if you rely on an inaccurate statement. We reserve the right to withdraw any programmes or service ay any time.