Working towards a trans-positive culture
Our aim is to create a more accessible, welcoming, supportive and inclusive learning environment and experience which better meets the needs of the Trans community.
We aim to do this by
- Increasing our understanding of the Trans community’s perception and experience of Further Education and in particular Bradford College
- Raising awareness of issues faced by the Trans community, particularly in relation to entering or returning to Education
- Supporting staff to understand their responsibilities and their role in relation to Gender Identity Equality
- Improving outcomes for Trans students
- Enabling Trans students to maximise their success through accessing appropriate guidance and support both within College and externally
- Enabling staff to effectively and constructively challenge transphobia and other discrimination
Bradford College has been awarded Equality and Diversity Good Practice Funding and is one of only three Further Education colleges and providers in the Yorkshire and Humber regions to have been awarded the funding. The fund supports a ‘towards Trans-positive culture’ project. The project will improve and embed Equality and Diversity for local learners and share good practice to benefit students and providers nationwide.
A research project has been conducted involving staff, students and the Trans community locally. Through this research the barriers to accessing Further Education have been identified and the specific support needs of Trans people. We have assessed the training needs of our teaching and support staff. Perceptions of the College have also been gathered from existing Trans students and the local Trans community.
The research document has informed stage two of the project, the production of resources to support the recommendations in the report. A Trans Guidance document has been produced for College staff. A training resource for staff and student class representatives has also been created. Delivery of staff training will commence in the new academic year.