When the original Bradford Technical School opened in 1882 (now known as the Old Building) facilities for the Textile Industries Department were paramount as the manufacturing of textiles was the most important local industry. Since the dyeing trade in Bradford was the second largest employer, a Chemistry & Dyeing department was a special feature, along with Art and Engineering departments. Over the years, the scope of each department was greatly increased. Art moved to its own separate Building (now known as Grove Library) but more space was needed.
The "keynote of the College's work" was "to supply the advanced instruction necessary to prepare students for their life's work in various local and national industries." After several years of looking at how to extend the College, ambitious plans were drawn up in 1907 for a new building dedicated to the Department of Textile Industries.
The Foundation stone for the new Building was laid on 5th November 1909 by the Lord Mayor, Councillor James Hill.
The new building was equipped with a complete plant for the washing, carding, combing, spinning, weaving, dyeing and finishing of textiles, and also included a power plant to supply all the power and light required by various College buildings and the School of Art.
Replicating Everything in a Mill
"The equipment provides for the carrying out in a practical way, on full sized machines similar to those employed in the trade, of all the operations involved in the manufacture of textiles, from the raw material to the finished cloth. At every point the paramount importance of experimental and trade research work has been kept in view, and many machines have been designed or adapted to this end."
You can see images of all the facilities as they were in 1911 and learn their use today: